The Château Neuf: built by the French in 1460 (with later additions). The castle was built to control the city after its final surrender to the French in 1452.
The Château Vieux: some parts of this castle date to the twelfth century, and it was where the English governors and castellans of the city were based until the surrender of the city in 1452.
Part of the medieval walls of Bayonne: the walls have now been used as the fronts of houses, though many of the towers still survive as well.
The River Nive: Bayonne is sited on the River Nive which flows into the River Adour to the north. Its location on this important river system made Bayonne an important maritime trading centre. The picture shows the largely post medieval buildings, merchant houses with large storage cellars, which must have replaced similar medieval buildings.